Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Week 31: It’s Adopt a Shelter Dog Month - Crochet a Toy or Blanket For Your Local Shelter

October is Adopt a Shelter Dog Month and in recognition of that, this week’s Challenge is to make a blanket or toy to give to your local animal shelter. 

When I first started crocheting, making pet blankets was a great way to practice my stitches and it started me on the path to becoming a designer. They are terrific projects for beginner crocheters and the blankets can be made by working rows or by working in rounds. I still have those blankets I made years ago, they wear really well and have been laundered many, many, times. 

Contact your local shelter first to make sure they will accept your blanket or toy donation. You can also check out the Snuggles Project here. This website is a great resource for finding shelters, and they also have a free pattern library. The Snuggles Project has been around for years, and I am happy to see they are still up and running. 

For other ways to help your local shelter, check out the list at PetFinder.com. There are many great suggestions, such as helping to promote special events for Adopt a Shelter Dog Month.

One of my first self published patterns is a swirly cat toy. Pictured below is my most adorable cat B.C., who sadly, is no longer with us. I love to look at this picture of him though, he was quite the character - a fierce warrior, and yet a snuggly cuddle bear. He was the first pet we adopted when we moved into our new home. He got a new home too, and we got the best cat - ever!











Thanks for joining me for week 31 of the 52 Week Crochet Challenge!

It's never too late to join in the fun and there's no need to catch up,
just jump right in:



Ravelry Group - 150+ members and growing!








2 comments:

  1. Love this! I work at a shelter, and we are so happy when someone donates a nicely made blanket. We also have a volunteer that crochets small blankets for the pets to take home when they are adopted, so they will have something that smells like the shelter to make them comfortable in their new homes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy to hear that Jessica :) I think it's great your shelter sends along a blanket with an adopted pet, that' s so wonderful!

    ReplyDelete